Monday, October 10, 2011

Bread Bowls






I googled Quick and Easy Bread Bowls and found a couple recipes. I was skeptical, (I usu sally am with bread recipes I find on the internet) but because this one took the least amount of time I thought it was worth a shot. Well they turned out great! It did make less than the 8 that the recipe says. I made 2 really big ones and 2 small kid size ones.  I did potato cheese soup in them. A family favorite for which we have no recipe. (My mother never cooks with recipes. Just to her taste.It drives me CRAZY cause I can never replicate it like she makes it). So I don't have that recipe for you, but here are the bread bowls. Courtesy of Tammy's Recipes 

Description: 
A hearty homemade bread bowl, perfect for serving chili or other soups
Yield: 
8 bowls
 
Ingredients: 
1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dry yeast
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
 
Instructions: 
1. In mixing bowl, combine water, sugar, and salt.
2. Add flour and yeast (start with 2 cups of the flour). Stir and then knead to make a smooth, slightly sticky dough. Knead for about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes
3. Grease the outsides of eight 6-ounce glass custard cups (oven-safe). Place cups upside down on ungreased cookie sheets.
4. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Pat or roll each piece into a 5-6 inch circle, on a lightly floured surface (or oil your hands and just form the dough in your hands). Shape dough over the outsides of the greased cups. Allow dough to touch cookie sheet, but not to curl under the edges of the cups.
5. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes or until slightly puffy.
6. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix egg yolk and water; brush gently over the bread bowls. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until bread is done and bowls are golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately, carefully remove bread from bowls. (I used oven mitts, since bowls and bread are very hot.)
7. Cool bread bowls upright on wire rack. Serve with chili or soup of your choice! :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your dinner looks delicious! :) Thanks for reviewing the recipe on my website. :) Have a great week! :)

Tammy